Todd, Paula’s golden retriever, leaped in front of her without missing a beat to protect his mother from the bite. The snake attacked and bit Todd on the muzzle, but he had protected Paula from a painful and venomous bite. “He jumped right in front of my leg, where I would have undoubtedly been bitten,” Godwin wrote on Facebook. “This is how a hero appears.”
Todd’s face swelled up, and he yelped in pain; however, Paula was able to transport him to an animal hospital only a few minutes after the attack. He was given an antivenom and was told to relax for the remainder of the day while being monitored. Paula is grateful for her brave dog, as the incident could have ended out lot worse.
Although rattlesnake bites are rarely fatal to humans, they can be very painful, leading to impaired vision, breathing difficulties, and paralysis. Todd was lavished with love by his mother on his return home, and after a short time, he was back on his feet and feeling much better. Although there is still a laceration on the side of his nose that will take longer to heal, the swelling from the bite has reduced.
Todd, I think it’s safe to say, will be getting a lot more cuddles and treats from now on as a reward for his bravery. “My Precious Todd is without a doubt my hero,” Paula remarked. “He is doing really well. I feel compelled to add that the man upstairs is undoubtedly keeping an eye on me as well.”
Please share the story with your friends!